Saturday, February 14, 2009

I Love to Cook for My Man

I love to cook.

I especially love to cook for Mr Cook. (Quickest way to a Man's heart, they say...)

Tonight I made a Valentine's dinner for us.





The menu:



  • Filet Mignon Roast
  • Artichoke & Crab Stuffed Potatoes
  • Asparagus
  • Sourdough bread.






Tonight's dinner was paired with a 2005 Indian Wells Cabernet Savignon. (We enjoyed this wine at the Herb Farm late last year...it was just as fabulous as we recalled)





For dessert...

  • Chocolate Lava Cakes
  • Sliced Strawberries
  • A dusting of powdered sugar











Sounds like a lot of work, however I confess that I purchased the filet mignon (in marinade) and the lava cakes (ready made) at Trader Joes yesterday. With the exception of the Crab & Artichoke stuffed potatoes (recipe follows) , the rest was pretty much easily and quickly prepared. The Sourdough bread was purchased from Central Market in Mill Creek- one of our favorite grocers.

The lava cakes and strawberries were featured at the Trader Joe's kitchen...you can imagine my delight at stepping into the store (on a whim) and finding a little dixie cup waiting for me with chocolate cake and fresh strawberries....If you read my earlier post, you will recognize that this combines Simon's favorite (strawberries) with my favorite (chocolate)...so I felt it was very appropriate for our V-Day dessert.

The recipe for stuffed potatoes is from Kathy Casey of Dish D'Lish. To me, Kathy Casey is the Queen of Northwest cooking. I chose this recipe because it combines two of my hubby's favorites: baked potatoes, and crab and artichoke dip.

Kathy Casey's Crab & Artichoke Stuffed Potatoes
(This recipe serves 4)

4Lg Russet Potatoes - bake these in a 400 degree oven for 50-60 minutes, or until done. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes

Combine in bowl with mixer (use whisk attachement if available)
3oz cream cheese
1/4c milk
1/4c mayonnaise
1/3c thinly sliced green onion
1 T minced pickled jalapenos
2 t minced fresh garlic






Cut the top third of potato off length wise and schoop out the hot potato from both top and bottom with a spoon. Leave a 1/2 inch shell. Add the scooped out potato to the mixing bowl and combine well.

Stir in:

3/4c Parmesan cheese

1lb crab meat

1 can (13-14 oz) quartered artichoke hears, well-drained and coarsely chopped


Spoon mixture into potato shells, piling up and dividing evenly. Sprinkle top with a little extra parmesan cheese.

Place on baking sheet and bake until golden brown and heated through (20-25 minutes)


Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought I commented on this.. Where is my wine?

dishing said...

Hi Nancy - happy to hear you like the stuffed potato recipe! I have a blog now too - check it out for more recipes. www.kathycasey.com/blog
I will link to your post too.
Best wishes, Kathy Casey