Thursday, February 19, 2009

I Love Good Things and Entertaining



Confession: I am a little obsessed with Martha Stewart.

I have almost every one of her Living magazines cataloged in magazine boxes at the top of my closet (I am missing about 15 issues) If you happen to have the premiere issue - I will be very happy to take that off of your hands for you. I also have a fair number of her cookbooks.

I know that not everyone is a fan, but I just love Martha. I love her for her chicken pot pie and her stuffed strawberries. Her home and garden hints and all those great ideas for entertaining. Mostly I love the fact that she is a very successful woman entreprenuer.

Martha helped me fix my dining room chairs and guided me through properly cleaning and storing my gardening tools. She is a major source of inspiration to me.

But I know her style is not for everyone and that is reason for this blog...

I have a friend who is an engineer and unfortunately she is not very domesticated. We had this great party a while back that I think illustrates very well that you do not have to be like Martha Stewart to pull off a memorable event.

My friend was hosting our themed Bunco night and had run out of ideas for an August theme (tough month) "Lets face it, " she told me "I am just not Martha Stewart."
And on that exasperated note...we planned a fabulous party.
How to throw a stellar "I am not Martha Stewart" party.

1) Do not clean your house or decorate - the lived in look is best for this party.


2) Send out an email and ask everyone to bring something to share.


3) All food must be storebought and not gourmet. (Oreos and twinkies are great options and so is frozen pizza)


4) Paper towels, paper plates and plastic forks should exhibit no fanciness-plain white will do.


5) Dress is ultra casual

If you are playing Bunco- as we were-you will need prizes....here are a few ideas- these can also be used as party favors:

1) Dollar store, baby. Just about anything you want to get from a dollar store will work just fine.


2) Fake plants - no care required


3) Any processed food item... again stay away from the gourmet stuff.


4) Cheap perfume...like Jean Nate or Baby Soft (do they still make those?)


5) Tabloid magazines.

Can you think of any more Good Things to add to this theme?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Its a good thing... another good monthly publication of hers that I get is "everyday Food"