Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I Love Breakfast

...Sometimes we even have it for dinner!


They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but I know that it is also the easiest to skip. Lets face it- we have busy lives and sometimes just getting out the door in the morning is all we can muster! I can defiantely relate-but I have adopted a new motto:

The best time to take a break is when you don't think you have time for it. (and I think the same is true for break-fast)

I took another vacation day on Friday (all part of my evil plan to finish grad school with my sanity in check) At this rate I probably won't have any vacation left come June when school is done and I really need a vacation, but then I may not have a job then either since I keep taking these vacation days every week.

Balancing home, work, my health and school has been difficult. As I said before, Simon has been an absolute dream. Jake is a rock....he appears unphased by the chaos in our home-as long as the fridge is stocked and he has clean clothes, he tends to be pretty happy.

On Sunday I got up early and made breakfast for my men. For Simon, I made smoked salmon scramble- this is a quick and easy egg dish that I adapted from brunch at a Marriot hotel. For Jake, I made some ebleskivers (I will share a recipe for these in my next blog) It does my heart good to be able to do something domesticated and something nice for my guys.

Smoked Salmon Scramble


Melt butter in a small skillet, add onions. I prefer green onions, but only had a yellow one on hand.





Add a some chopped smoked salmon to the mix:

And a couple of beaten eggs...




Scramble it all together:


Add a bit of cream cheese. I cut these into little centimeter sized cubes. They combine better that way.



Sprinkle with a little bit of dill and salt and pepper. In the spring I use chives from my herb garden. Pretty easy, eh?

Bon Appetite!

1 comment:

Chris:) said...

I love your motto!! I have to say, I've been really working on eating a better breakfast myself for the past few weeks. I have such a bad habit of not eating a good breakfast that I've had to pencil it in as part of my daily schedule and force myself to eat it before a certain time! Apparently I don't like new tricks :p Looking forward to your ebleskivers recipe.