Monday, October 13, 2008

How did I ever get so gosh darn domesticated??


A very good question...if I do ask so, myself.

I guess I would attribute the bulk of my domestic knowledge to the fact that I have had some wonderfully domesticated women in my life.

My mother (as you can see here: http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/) is a fine example of a fabulous homemaker. I washed many dirty dishes when I was younger that were a direct biproduct of her culinary skill and almost everything I know about making a welcome and comfortable home can be attributed to her.

My mother's mother, Grandma Elaine, is my only surviving grandmother. She makes the best sugar cookies in the world and I think she may very well hold the record for the cleanest home in the universe.

My father's mother was a beautiful, family loving, Italian woman. Grandma Muriel is the reason why spaghetti and meatballs are my comfort food. She made cream puffs and apple pie and pie crust cinnamon rolls. I have so many fond memories of holidays and Sunday dinners at my grandparent's home- with our cousins and good food and card games.

I grew up on a farm where we had an abundance of fresh food. A freezer stocked with homegrown beef, pork, chicken, and fish. Canned goods in the celler, fresh milk and cream from the neighbor's dairy, eggs from the nest and fruit and vegetables straight from the plant. We even had fresh honey from my dad's bee hives. A very, very charmed life I had indeed!

My younger sister and I used to host cooking shows in the kitchen using fresh ingredients from our garden (for some reason, I recall that we used a lot of potatoes and eggs in these shows), we made a lot of chocolate chip cookies too!

It is my plan to highlight these very influential people and others in upcoming blogs. I will share recipes, helpful hints for balancing life and work, beautiful places I travel to, and other wonderful things I discover along the way. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so Proud to be this "Woman's" Mom... Wow I didn't realize she was learning these domestic things from her bedroom where a good part of her teen life was spent Reading & writing, She did learn how to wash dishes and Cook, She even won a prize at the fair for her 16 layer cake..( similar to my recipe but she altered it a bit)) Sewing? no.. she didn't have an interest until later in her married life and now Quilts and has rejuvinated the craft interest in her mom.. What a girl!