Saturday, January 3, 2009

English Monkey




As I mentioned before, I have a small collection of old wooden recipe boxes which contain a large selection of beautiful handwritten recipes. I have picked these up at estate sales, on ebay and in antique shops over the last decade.

I am somewhat obsessed with these culinary gems- they are unique and personal and I believe that the recipes must have some merit for someone to have taken the time to handwrite them. (Of course I do realize that this may just have been a sign of a pre-technology era- but no need to rain on my souffle!) Also harbored in my fantasies is the notion that I may have procured the prized family recipes of some highly-revered culinary diva. She must be smiling down from heaven (while eating angel food cake and fluffy cloud-like marshmallows...) to know that her prized collection is in the careful hands of an appreciative soul.
I take today's recipe from a little wooden box with dove tailed corners I bought on ebay. The box reads "Globe" and "John Wanamaker New York and Philadelphia. There is no information about the owner and only a few cards have references to their sources (no doubt other impressive culinary artist friends of this honored woman-chef)

This is a recipe for English Monkey. Neither my English mum in law or my English husband have heard of this, but both will tell you that there are no true monkeys to be found in England.

English Monkey
Soak 1 cup stale bread crumbs in one cup milk fifteen minutes
Melt 1tsp buter, add 1/2 cup soft mld cheese and stir until melted.
Add soaked crumbs and just before serving 1 slightly beaten egg, 1/2 tsp salt and bit of cayenne. Pour over toasted crackers.

1 comment:

BrittenRoost said...

I have an antique recipe box filled with recipes from my family's past. I, too, find the best recipes tucked inside this gem.