Saturday, January 17, 2009

Coconut Buns from the "Magic Recipe Box"







Decided to pull another recipe from the same "magical recipe box" that I posted English Monkey from a few weeks ago.

Many of the recipes in this box appear to have been jotted down quickly by hand and little extra detail is provided for clarification. It is obvious to me that the author was quite versed in cooking and found a simple overview of ingredients and instruction sufficient in her baking. I imagine that she was one of these brilliant and skilled individuals who created masterpieces by adding just a little bit of this and..a dash of that.

This one is called "Cocoanut Buns"

Rub 1/2 c butter into 2 c flour add 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 c sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 c chopped cocoanut, 1 well beaten egg, milk to make a stiff batter. Put in pieces on butterd tin. Brush with milk and sprinkle with cocoanut. Bake 15 minutes in a hot oven.

I put on my apron (I dare not bake handwritten, old recipe box, recipes without an apron!!!!) and grated cold butter into a mixing bowl. I used my hands to rub the flour and butter together until crumbly, then added the rest of the ingredients in succession. I hesitantly used sweetened, shredded coconut- but I would not doubt that our esteemed homemaker would have taken the Martha Stewart approach and started with a whole coconut and chopped up what she needed. (note to self: research this). It took about about a 1/2 c of milk to create a "stiff batter" which I interpreted to be the consistency of cookie dough.

My "pieces" were 2 inch balls of dough and, my "tin" was a pampered chef rectangular cooking stone. The buns were baked at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. The recipe made 24.




As you can see, these appear to be more like coconut "biscuits" than "buns". They taste slightly sweet, like a "scone".

Simon- my official taste tester- suggested drizzling these with chocolate (Can you tell why I love this man?)

I think these would be lovely with tea. A dollup of jam and devonshire clotted cream would be everso nice.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh yes, the Chocolate idea is what makes him a favorite son in law..This guy is a keeper. & The recipe looks yummy Nancy.. Glad you married this Brit!