Friday, May 1, 2009

May Day, May Day, May Day...


Just a little information I learned today....
The distress call actually has nothing to do with May Day (the first of May)....I wondered this myself and did a little research. The term is derived from the french : 'venez m'aider', meaning 'come help me'. The call is always given three times in a row ("Mayday Mayday Mayday") to prevent mistaking it for some similar-sounding phrase under noisy conditions, and to distinguish an actual Mayday call from a message about a Mayday call.
This month I will be focused on finishing school! (Happy Dance!) We have also started to work with a designer and a landscaper to finally get our home improvements underway. We have sent out a distress signal- so to speak. It has become quite clear that neither of us are particularly skilled in the DYI department. We also don't have time with our jobs. I calculated that I can work one hour of overtime a week and save my self 4 hours per week in house cleaning. Plus we are bolstering the economy.
Whichever way you slice it, our next goal is work-life balance. Simon and I are wanting to embark on a healthier lifestyle and to be able to come home to a home that is warm and cozy and clean. I am eager to start sewing again and to get my vegetable garden growing. I think the trick is to make time for things you love and hire out the rest of it!

2 comments:

Lori said...

Congrats on getting to the end of school. I was also VERY happy when my Grad school was done. It was the hardest schooling ever and I had my best grades there too.

Carol............. said...

What a fun picture of May Day!

We're back and I'm up and blogging again....lots of work this year in the garden!

Hope to see you sometime this summer..