Happy New Year everyone!
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Happy New Year everyone!
Thursday, December 25, 2008
Monday, December 22, 2008
For more on Mr Bentley, visit: http://snowflakebentley.com/
Sunday, December 21, 2008
Friday, December 19, 2008
We are headed to Central Market early in the morning tomorrow- we want to be there and home before the storm hits. I am making up my Christmas menu tonight and a shopping list. I plan to spend the entire day tomorrow being crafty....I have Christmas presents to finish and decorating to do!
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
I have been thinking a lot about perfection lately....
One undeniable truth is that Perfection is subjective. I am a perfectionist- but what I believe to be "perfect" and what, say, my mother in law feels to be "perfect" can be two very different things.
Perfection is subjective because it relies heavily on how one views their priorities. My husband who is a perfectionist when it comes to school (he has a 4.0 in grad school) is clearly not a perfectionist when it comes to hanging Christmas lights out doors. (he thought the mix of lights was perfect....I found them a bit awkward).
I know that,very often, my expectations are not realistic. But when things are "just so"- well, I get a lot of satisfaction out of that. And conversely, when things aren't "just so", my tendancy is to feel discomfort until I can fix it (or get Simon to fix it!)
It makes me come across as very controlling and very self righteous and I do not like being perceived that way, but I have done some experimentation recently with not speaking my mind or stating my preferences..(with telling myself that something is little and it doesn't matter, when it realy does)...and, well,....this doesn't seem to work for me. The stress that I think I am saving is not going anywhere...it is just building and building.
Any ideas for combating perfectionism? Is it really such a bad thing?
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
Take for instance this one: This is called a Snake plant. It is also called a mother in law plant. It obviously looks like a Snake skin...but where, oh where, could the mother in law label come from? IDK. (I actually have one of these thriving in a dark corner of our living room).
Here is one that is a little more transparent....this is called a golden ball cactus...but, ironically, it is also called a "mother in law" seat. Interesting. I do not have one of these, but I am a few chairs short for Christmas Eve dinner.
I also learned today that Hyssop is used to ward off evil spirits. Think I will grab a pot of that one too!
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Friday, December 12, 2008
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
- Another trip to the Herb Farm would be cool- for Valentine's Day.
- A "Have your Cake and Eat it too" spa treatment at the Bee Hive Day Spa
- A Shopping Spree at Nordstroms
- A weekend at the Whidbey cottage
Earning brownie points sucks, but spending them might be fun!
But taking things day by day... I have school tonight. My last class for the quarter. Tomorrow I anticipate having some paper writing time which is good since my paper is due tomorrow. I have one final due on Saturday and one due next Wednesday. Then (finally) I am done with the quarter.
Well, no rest for the wicked. Just got our materials for next quarter. While the topics are much more interesting to me than this quarter (marketing, entreprenuership and global business) the reading appears to be substantial and needs to be accomplished before the start of the new quarter on January 7. I have 6 paperback books to read. (and would you believe that they didn't even gift wrap 'em????)
I am so ready to be done with school. 2 more quarters, I keep telling myself....just 2!
Monday, December 8, 2008
See...here I am typing away on my blog...I should be writing my paper!
Mum in law will be here tomorrow night. We got the guest room ready and most of the house is sparklin'. Just our bedroom and the office are left to do- and both look like war zones. Perhaps over the break we will tackle those! Neither is going to be cleaned until after finals are over though, and I am making no apologies! I am a busy girl.
Sunday, December 7, 2008
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Friday, December 5, 2008
- We are both from the Yakima Valley
- We are both U of W Huskies
- We have both worked for Boeing, in a field where we are outnumbered by guys.
- We both had someone tell us we should just get married and have children instead of pursuing a career (is something in the water over there?)
Dr Dunbar's presentation was fabulous. She even showed us home video from her two trips into outerspace. She talked about weightlessness and the affects of zero gravity on the human body and she spoke of her passion for turning kids on to science and math. Dr Dunbar is now the director of the Museum of Flight. She is just a very cool and inspiring pioneer.
Thursday, December 4, 2008
The second is a picture of the entrance to our home. It was very beautiful with all the rhodies and azaleas in bloom!
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? No preference
2. Real tree or Artificial? I prefer real, but have resigned myself to artificial
3. When do you put up the tree? Mid December
4. When do you take the tree down? New Years Day
5. Do you like eggnog? S’alright - Hot Buttered Rum is my preference.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? A dollhouse that my dad built for Barbie dolls. An easy bake oven (not sure if that was Christmas)
7. Hardest person to buy for? Stepdad, Brian
8. Easiest person to buy for? Mom
9. Do you have a nativity scene? no - I have a Christmas village - does that count?
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Ugly sweater, but a nice thought
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? A Christmas Story – we also watch Love Actually every Xmas- not sure if that is a Christmas movie but it is set over a Christmas holiday!
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Extremely early - I try to be done before Thanksgiving- especially if we are going to be travelling
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? No, only the gift wrap or bag
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Mince Pies with Brandy butter, fudge, sherry trifle, Hot Almond Butter Rum – I’ve a bit of a sweet tooth
16. Lights on the tree? Of Course
17. Favorite Christmas song? Let it Snow
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? This year- home. But usually we go to England. Last year we went to England and the Canary Islands. I think a mixture of both is good
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? If I sing the intro to Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, I can
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Star, but used to have an angel
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Both.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Commercialism, people thinking they have to spend money they don't have, and the Seattle weather – only rain, no snow!
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? I like silver and glass, but also like to mix it up each year. When Jake was little I would do themes…usually with cookie cut outs…dinosaurs one year, planes, trains, boats and cars another. Now we just do lots of picture ornaments of Jake…it seemed like a good idea when I started it)
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Prime Rib – this year we are going out though
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? A Nintendo WII Fit...and maybe an amaryllis
26. Who is most likely to add a similar questionnaire to their blog? Mom
27. Who is least likely to? Charlie Vander Houwen
28. Favorite thing about Christmas? Baking, seeing Family and friends, giving (especially shopping for the foster kids), “fairy lights”, music, and snow, if we get some.